YEAR 7 & 8 CHRISTCHURCH
SCHOOLS CRICKET FESTIVALS
TERM 4 2022
GIRLS FESTIVAL (CHANGE OF DATES)
2nd & 3rd November 2023 venue Polo Grounds and Hagley Corner
BOYS FESTIVAL 27th & 28th November 2023 venue Polo Grounds and Hagley Corner
With the cessation of the New Zealand Cricket National Cup and Shield Competitions in Term 4 the CJCA will co-ordinate Festivals for Year 7 and 8 students. It is hoped that we, in conjunction with Primary Sports Canterbury, will be able find dates and design events in both Term 1 and Term 4 2024.
Term 1 & 4 2024 dates will ideally be available by the end of Term 3 2023.
In addition to a grade which will be called Competitive an additional Participation grade will again be offered in both genders.
The aims of these options is to provide schools with options at the appropriate level of competition for their teams without putting them out of their depth against more established cricketing schools or teams with existing experienced junior cricketers.
The move to Incrediballs in both the Participation grades is seen being easier for some schools and participants. For existing cricketers it is still cricket and aims to lessen some risk factors related to less experienced participants. THE CJCA WILL SUPPLY THE INCREDIBALLS FOR THIS FESTIVAL TO ENSURE CONSISTENCY.
A maximum of 18 teams in total will be able to be accommodated in each of the events (Boys and Girls) and should entries go over this number (this is only anticipated in the Boys) – an additional venue may be added.
If you wish to enter, simply e-mail [email protected] with your entry and whether it is for a girls team, boys team or both and include the contact details of the person who we can send the draw and other information too.
THE CJCA AIMS TO SUPPLY UMPIRES FOR ALL GAMES BUT TEAMS MAY BE REQUIRED TO SUPPLY A SQUARE LEG UMPIRE AND WILL DEFINITELY BE REQUIRED TO SUPPLY THEIR OWN SCORER.
Please also indicate whether your entries are for Competitive or Participation grades
SCHOOLS ARE NOW LIMITED TO TWO ENTRIES IN THE COMEPTITIVE GRADE but a maximum of 1 in the participation grade.
Boys & Girls entry options
- Competitive (still Hardball and 20/20 games 9 a-side)
- Format alterations
- Maximum 3 overs
- Batting retirement after 30 balls including wides and no balls
- Participation (Incrediballs – supplied by CJCA and no protective equipment required but Helmets recommended three 12/12 games each day)
Format for Participation grade
- 8 a-side
- Pairs Cricket 3 overs each – minimum 9 balls each
- 12 overs per innings
- 3 Bonus runs for each wicket taken by bowling team
- Every fielder must bowl at least 1 over 4 can bowl 2
- 8 balls per over maximum
- THREE GAMES PER DAY
- Purpose – to maximise opportunities for participation by non-traditional cricket schools who may struggle with gear and encourage non-cricketers to participate
- This is still cricket for current cricketers but in a more participation And FUN format than more traditional format and ensures match length.
- Following Day 1 results will determine Day 2 games
- PLEASE NOTE A SATELLITE VENUE FOR PARTICIPATION MAY BE NEEDED SHOULD ENTRIES EXCEED CAPACITY – SHOULD THIS BE REQUIRED IT IS LIKELY THAT FIRSTLY ST ALBANS PARK WOULD BE UTILISED AND A BLOCK OF 4 TEAMS CAN BE PLACED THERE EACH DAY.
If you have any queries, please feel free to get in contact. Entries close 21st October 2023 for the Girls grade and 10th November 2023 for the Boys grades.
ENTRIES TO – [email protected]
Schools are encouraged to play pre-Festival games between comparable schools and the CJCA can assist with venues for these games.
Schools wishing to enter these Festivals should email the CJCA at [email protected] with details of which events they wish to enter. Priority will be given to the first team entered from a school but schools may be permitted more than 1 teams in the competitions if space exists