SIPST – Girls Development Tournament
The Christchurch Junior Cricket Association runs an annual Junior Girls’ tournament in the South Island each year. Teams from throughout the South Island and North Island make their way to Christchurch in January each year to play in the 3 day T20 competition culminating in placing finals on day 3.
We see this development tournament as a key tournament in the junior girls’ development and at a time when many are about to start high school. The CJCA invite other associations or clubs to consider attending this Girls’ Tournament each January in Christchurch.
The Tournament is held in the last week of January each year generally during the week to allow access to grass wickets and better facilities for players and supporters alike.
The tournament was started in 2010 with the objective of giving girls the same opportunities to develop their cricket skills, match themselves against other players of the same age, and have a great time. Over the years CJCA continues to promote this opportunity for Girls Cricket. We are fortunate to have great support from our local clubs and the girls have over the years had the opportunity to play on senior grass wickets.
For our CJCA Girls, this is a pathway to Youth Cricket. From the two Christchurch teams, we select a single representative team that plays in Auckland in March each year in a quadrangular tournament organised by Cornwall Cricket Club.
Who can participate?
- All girls must be year 8 or under at the start of the season (October 2017).
- Teams can be a club (we have Auckland Cornwall Cricket Club attend each year), or you can amalgamate two or three clubs, or a regional team (e.g. Nelson, Otago Country) or even a major association e.g. Wellington.
- Games are all T20 (including the finals), 5 games per team over 3 days on grass wickets if possible.
Who has participated throughout the years?
- 2 equal strength Christchurch teams (Red/Black), Nelson, Auckland Cornwall, Otago Country, South Canterbury, Dunedin, Canterbury Country, Otago Districts, Wairarapa & a Year 5/6 Christchurch Metro Development Squad if required.
- The previous winners include Nelson, Canterbury Country, Cornwall, CJCA Red, and CJCA Black.
What is the purpose of the Tournament?
- This is a development tournament.
- To play some great cricket in a fun environment and make new friends.
- To provide a pathway for the girls from Junior cricket through to youth cricket.
- To enable the girls to benchmark themselves against girls they do not know from other regions.
If you would like more information on how to participate you can email us